Before I had kids, I never understood the posts I saw on Facebook of mom’s hating on Summer. I even judged them a little! I thought, “Aren’t they excited to spend more time with their kids?” Now that I am a mom I TOTALLY GET IT AND I’M SORRY! Here are all the reasons why
Summer Sucks for Parents
- Too much time with the kids. Much too much time. What the heck am I supposed to do with them all day? The chorus of “mom, mom, mama, mom MOMMMMMM!!!!” is worse than nails on a chalk board. And I just count down the hours until nap time, or until I can bribe them to sit quietly and give me a break.
- I’m also supposed to be teaching them things? I didn’t get a teaching degree! My Instagram and Pinterest feed is full of summer activities that other moms, better moms, are doing with their children. Activities that help them to learn to spell, and write, and read and learn. I’m over here like: “Here’s some letter cookies kid, good luck.”
- Family vacations. Once you have kids, you understand that a vacation isn’t a vacation with little ones. It’s just changing the scenery of the day to day mess. Most of the time you have to add sand into the equation, which is a whole other level of annoying.
- Sibling fights- Once you have two plus you realize they’re gonna get on each other’s nerves. And them getting on each other’s nerves gets on YOUR nerves. QUIET TIME FOR EVERYONE. ALL DAY. WHOEVER DOESN’T TALK IS MY FAVORITE CHILD.
- The lack of privacy. This should be number one. There is a tiny human underfoot at all hours of the day. All hours. Goodness forbid I pee in peace. Or try and fold the laundry. The “Mama whatcha doing?” “Mama whatcha doing now?” “Mama can you come play with me now?” “How about now?!?”
I love my children. I swear I do. I’m just counting down the days until summer is over. It’s 40 days, in case you were wondering.